Monday, November 5, 2007

Writing extension

1. Dear father, Winter 1918

I miss you, I pray everyday that I can come home safely. It's hard being a soldier, dealing with the troubles of this endless war. Death is a horrible thing, but seeing people you hold dear to your heart die before your eyes can make one go crazy.

Kemmerich died dad, he died!! I feel such guilt because before we left I promised his mother that I would watch after him. I promised her he would come home safely, but instead he dies and I am left to tell the story! It all started because he was shot in the thigh, shortly after they amputated his leg. The amputation caused him to get very sick, and he died in pain. I was there to wittiness it all, the tears, the shouts of agony, I just wish I could have taken his place. I remember back in school how popular, smart, and good looking he was, those were the days dad, the days we were all boys. We didn't know that how much are lives were going to change. God d*** Kantorek, our school master, the one who persuaded our class to sign up for the army. I'm beginning to believe he didn't even care about us at all, over half of the class is dead Dad! That's over ten men. I named our class the "iron youth" meaning we had to grow up fast and realize the evilness of the world way to soon.

How am I going to break the news to Kemmorich's mother? How am I going to tell her that her only son died, while I am still standing? Father the troubles I face in this war are much deeper than trying to overcome France, but I am trying to overcome troubles within myself.
2.




"WAKE ME UP WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS" by: Green Day

Paul relates to this song because it expresses the challenges that soldiers go through. The solider in the song and Paul both are trying to find themselves, and get use to the changes that are occurring in their lives. I love this song because the emotions help me understand how soldiers feel.






3. This piece of art reminds me of the story because it mocks the war. The picture states "am I righteous now?" meaning if I kill someone you will glorify me for it? I think a lot of solders have a hard time killing people and I a lot of them wonder the same question.

No comments: